American Honda Features
2006 Honda CBR1000RR- Features
Torrance, Calif. 09/07/2005 --
Sharing DNA with Honda's MotoGP-winning RC211V, the awesome CBR1000RR elevates its Superbike status to new performance levels in 2006 thanks to extensive changes that sharpen handling, boost horsepower and reduce weight.
Features & Benefits
New for 2006
- New cylinder-head porting for improved engine power in mid- and upper-rpm ranges.
- New cylinder-head combustion chamber shape raises the compression ratio.
- New intake cam increases power at high engine speeds.
- New intake valves help increase power.
- Intake valve springs change from a single spring to new double-spring design for optimum performance at high rpm.
- Redline increased for improved performance.
- Left engine ACG cover is made of magnesium for lighter weight.
- New transmission gears for improved engagement.
- New clutch needle bearings improve engagement feel and durability.
- Redesigned ram-air intake screen grid reduces air resistance for optimum flow.
- New exhaust system is lighter and increases flow for more power.
- New chassis geometry for improved handling.
- New, larger full-floating 320mm front disc brakes (up from 310mm) with four-piston radial-mounted calipers deliver superior braking performance and progressive feel.
- Revised front suspension settings for superior suspension action.
- Revised rear suspension includes new linkage for improved handling.
- All-new bodywork includes upper, middle and lower cowl for aggressive, race-ready look.
- Improved seat foam for additional rider comfort.
- Exciting new colors are: Candy Blue/Yellow, Red/Black, Silver/Metallic Silver and Black.
- Liquid-cooled 998cc inline four-cylinder engine.
- Aluminum frame patterned after the RC211V MotoGP machine.
- Honda Electronic Steering Damper (HESD) for optimum steering effort and stability.
- Cassette-type close-ratio six-speed transmission.
- Centrally located fuel tank increases mass centralization and allows more compact frame design.
- Radial-mounted front brakes.
- Center-up exhaust system.
- Unit Pro-Link rear suspension and swingarm design inspired by RC211V.
- Line Beam Headlight features three-piece reflector design.
- Dual Stage Fuel Injection System (DSFI) features two injectors per cylinder.
- Aggressive styling based on the championship-winning RC211V MotoGP machine.
- Liquid-cooled DOHC 16-valve 998cc four-stroke inline four-cylinder engine features bore and stroke dimensions of 75mm x 56.5mm.
- Sixteen-valve cylinder head features 29mm intake and 24mm exhaust valves with an 12.2:1 compression ratio for efficient combustion and high horsepower.
- Lightweight nutless connecting rods.
- Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation system ensures high-rpm durability and allows 16,000-mile valve maintenance intervals.
- Iridium-tip spark plugs improve fuel combustion and performance.
- Dual Stage Fuel Injection (DSFI) system features two injectors per cylinder--one upper and one lower--controlled by an ECU that senses rpm and throttle opening. Lower injector enhances rideability while upper injector improves top-end horsepower. At lower rpm only the lower injector is working. At higher rpm, both injectors are activated. The system uses 44mm throttle bodies.
- Denso injectors with lightweight valving for faster reaction time and 12 holes per injector improve atomization of fuel mixture for optimum combustion efficiency and power.
- Auto-enriching system is integrated into PGM-FI module, eliminating the need for a manual choke.
- Forged aluminum pistons with moly surface treatment for reduced friction.
- Aluminum composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The lightweight composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation compared to conventional sleeves.
- Electronic ECU provides two digital 3-D fuel injection maps for each cylinder and two digital 3-D ignition maps for cylinder pairs, creating ideal fuel mixture and spark advance settings for superb rideability.
- Newly designed ram-air system allows higher volume of cool air to the 8.35-liter airbox for linear power delivery and incredible engine performance.
- Stainless steel four-into-two-into-one center-up exhaust with twin outlets and titanium core increases lean angle and reduces wind drag.
- Liquid-cooled aluminum oil cooler is lightweight and efficient.
- Maintenance-free automatic cam-chain tensioner.
- Starter gears located on the right side to produce narrow engine and increased lean angle.
- Eight-plate clutch is compact and tough, featuring durable friction plate material.
- Cassette-type, close-ratio six-speed transmission is easily accessible for rapid gear ratio changes and maintenance at the race track.
- Durable #530 O-ring-sealed drive chain.
- Lightweight twin-spar aluminum frame utilizes RC211V technology.
- Aluminum-hybrid rear swingarm is longest in class for superior traction under hard acceleration.
- New Aluminum subframe is lightweight and easily removed for ease of maintenance.
- Honda Electronic Steering Damper (HESD) is a rotary type steering damper that electronically modulates steering damping based on road speed and acceleration. An ECU unit senses road speed and acceleration and then sends a signal to a solenoid. The solenoid controls an oil pressure relief valve within the damper unit. At slower speeds the relief valve is open, allowing for a free flow of oil through the damper unit, resulting in reduced damping force and lighter steering effort. At higher speeds the flow of oil is restricted, resulting in increased damping force and additional stability. HESD is the first steering damping system that makes it possible to increase high-speed performance while maintaining low-speed handling.
- 43mm inverted aluminum-slider Honda Multi-Action System (HMAS) cartridge front fork features spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability, and offers precise action and unparalleled rigidity.
- Unit Pro-Link rear suspension system is patterned after the RC211V MotoGP machine. In this system, the upper shock mount is contained within the swingarm rather than the frame. With no top frame-mount for the shock, this unique system reduces negative suspension energy from being transmitted into the frame, allowing optimum frame rigidity and improved rideability out of corners. The HMAS shock offers rebound and compression damping, and spring preload adjustability.
- Front brake system features radial-mounted four-piston calipers and 320mm floating discs, and a 220mm rear disc with a single-piston caliper for exceptional stopping power.
- Super-light aluminum-alloy hollow-spoke wheels feature race-spec 3.5 x 17-inch front and 6.0 x 17-inch rear dimensions.
n -Centrally mounted 4.8-gallon fuel tank is positioned low in the frame, increasing mass centralization and allowing a more compact design. This design positions the rider farther forward for optimum handling.
- High-capacity, 350-watt AC generator.
- High-tech instrument display features tachometer, LCD readouts for speedometer, coolant temperature, odometer, two tripmeters and a clock. A low-fuel LED light and shift indicator light is located in the tachometer.
- Line Beam Headlight features three-piece reflector design utilizing two H7 bulbs for optimum light distribution and unique compact design.
- LED taillights for improved appearance.
- Plastic tank shell cover protects tank and airbox.
- One-piece fan assembly increases cooling efficiency.
- Convenient ignition switch/fork lock for added security.
- Folding aerodynamic mirrors.
- Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
- Convenient push-to-cancel turn signal switch.
- Maintenance-free battery.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Ownership includes one-year complimentary membership for an individual in the Honda Rider's Club of America(TM) (HRCA(R)). Benefits include: discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance, one year of Honda Red Rider(TM) magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse Web site (www.hrca.honda.com
) and access online to Honda Common Service Manual. For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA. For dealers only, please call (310) 783-3958.
- Passenger Seat Cowl (Color-matched).