HID's help [Archive] - 1000RR.com Forums

HID's help

adrenalinjunkee
09-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Hello forum,
I'm wondering how many of you guys are running HID conversions in their 54's. Also what kelvin ratings, their performance levels (ability to see well) any operational problems like heating up the bulbs for high neam use, manufacturers of your kits, overall satisfaction and any other helpful snippets you can toss in there.
I was reading up on some of these questions and I was wondering what the real world concensus was.
AJ :?

Psquared
10-02-2004, 07:41 PM
I don't have a kit on my 54, but if i'm not mistaken, you don't want any bulb higher than 6000k. The higher you go you loose visibility, but get a more bluish/purple color. If i'm not mistaken, HID's run much cooler than a standard halogen bulb, so I don't think heat should be an issue. FYI, I am running a 5000k setup in my car and it's bright as hell, and heat hasn't been an issue.

Truck
10-02-2004, 08:00 PM
You want to runt the converstion kit. Not just lamps. The conversion kit comes with the ballast and wont hurt the electrical. Get ready to fork out around $300.00 :wink:

adrenalinjunkee
10-02-2004, 11:52 PM
Truck,
I was looking into some kits and I found a few cheaper ones, then there were some $700-750 kits. (German ballasts & ignitors) I guess I'm going to have to buy another"motorcycle" style kit w/ just one bulb, ballast & ignitor for the low beams. I'm almost sure you only get what you pay for, but where is the point where it does'nt really matter? Thanx man!
Psquared,
I was also checking out the kelvin ratings of the bulbs, and yes, you do have a valid point about the higher the kelvin rating, the more color and less visibility. I was also wondering about light "BLEED" with the larger reflective areas that the 54 headlights have. I'm guessing that anyone coming towards me will be hating me for a few minutes after the encounter. :twisted: Do you have a high/low system on the car? All separate bulbs, right? Do the high beams switch without hesitaion?
Thanx again guys

Anonymous
10-03-2004, 02:02 AM
I run the kit on my 54....

Buy a Hella kiy only and you can get them on ebay for about 325 for a pair.... I think the guy calls them Mecca or something like that.....

Get around 8000 kelvin.....

Niner54
10-03-2004, 07:37 AM
I just got the kit but they shipped the wrong damn lamp...

Yeah I paid 330 shipped for the pair.

The low beam won't (shouldn't) bother on comers any more than the stock due to the reflector cut off (look at the reflectors compare the low and high- you'll see what I am talkin about), just the area around the cut off and further out will be brighter but not much higher (if any).

As far as color tempature studies have proved that the human eye sees different kelvin ratings better then increased lumans at lower color tempature. But yeah if the color temp is too high you start to leave your ideal color spectrum.

for example look in your offices were you work look at the color temp writing on your flourescent lamps. you'll see some from 3000, 3500 maybe if your lucky as high as 5100. You'll see it looks as if the (higher color temps) seem brighter, but there not same lumen output...

sorry prolly to much info there....

adrenalinjunkee
10-03-2004, 08:23 AM
for example look in your offices were you work look at the color temp writing on your flourescent lamps. you'll see some from 3000, 3500 maybe if your lucky as high as 5100. You'll see it looks as if the (higher color temps) seem brighter, but there not same lumen output...
I work in the basement, so my lighting is CRAP! lol I do understand the color differences, and thanks for all the input.
sorry prolly to much info there....

Never too much info Bro. Thanx again
PS: Keep it coming, I want to make the best choice I can.

Psquared
10-08-2004, 05:41 PM
sorry adrenaline.... I havent checked the board in a while. I am actually running the low beams, and the fog lights with HID's. I have a celica and they have a projector beam for both the low and fog light so bleed isn't an issue. It's a very focused beam. I agree also that with the 954 the light would be "thrown" out a lot, but who cares, they could never say they didn't see you. I would put HID's in all 3 light positions, low and high, then if someone flashes you, light 'em up like the 4th of july. I guarantee they will never flash anybody again....that is if they don't wreck from being blinded. 8)

Psquared
10-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Oh yeah, to add I know of one place for HID kits, don't know if it's the best, and if anyone else knows any others, please post them, i'd like to pick up some for the bike next.
www.xenondepot.com

Anonymous
10-11-2004, 09:51 AM
zenon depot is way to expensive...... Plus 4k is too yellow and 6 k is weak... I have 6k in my car and I hate it.... Get the 8k hella kit....

adrenalinjunkee
10-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks 2K. that's why I posted on here. I need as many opinions as to what works. I'm going to check the e-bay thing in just a few minutes.

BTW, keep the info coming. I'm sure they make a huge difference in visibility at night. Right?

Custom GT
11-28-2004, 07:48 PM
so I should buy these ebay HID bulbs 6000k for $15???

:)

Wheelie
11-28-2004, 08:25 PM
How much are the ballast? weeeee

Niner54
11-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Yeah $15.00 those aren't HID they are xenon.

I have the 8k on my 1000RR and love it. Works very nice.

954pilot
11-29-2004, 04:23 PM
Check the fine print....prob HID LOOK bulbs. Even if they are HIDs, I don't think you can use them unless you already have the conversion.

Polished 954
11-30-2004, 12:05 AM
Dumb it down for a minute.
I currently have a 5200K HID Xenon H4 bulb that i am lookin to put in before spring. Can I use HID without some expensive conversion kit? Is there really much of a difference between this bulb and stock?

Anyone install a police spotlight on their honda yet? j/k

Niner54
11-30-2004, 06:23 AM
Yeah there is a big difference compared to stock, but you may want to go with a higher color tempature then 5200. It may look slightly warmer, and as a result will not look that much brighter then stock.

But if you were to go 8,000 or so will will notice a BIG difference.

Good luck.

Polished 954
11-30-2004, 10:05 AM
can i do 8000k in all three posiitons without any problems? or would that be too bright. 8)

Would it be better to just do 8000k in just the low beams? :?

Niner54
11-30-2004, 04:42 PM
I don't there is a such thing as too brite but I don't ride around with my high beams on either.

RCMURDOCK
12-07-2004, 05:09 PM
I haven't seen any listing of kelvin temperatures for the bulbs I use. I just use the higher

wattage bulbs and they definately put out more light. Not just brighter but also more. The
stock bulbs are H7 and rated at 55 watts. I was concerned about melting the cowl in
such a small space. The R1's regularly melt their cowls with high wattage bulbs. They
advertise an 85 watt bulb and a 100 watt bulb. I bought the 85 watt bulb to be
conservative and not melt the cowl. It seems to put out about twice as much light. It
lasted about 3 months and then vibration broke the filament. Upon taking it out to replace
it; I discovered it was marked 100 watts. When we checked at the store all of the bulbs
labeled 85 watts were actually 100 watts and those labeled 100 watts were actually 120 watt bulbs. I haven't gotten up enough nerve to run the 120 watt bulbs. I'm still running those labeled 85 watts and love them.

Niner54
12-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Yeah increase in wattage will cause that as well as melting wire.

Color temps are better to play with...