Another minor problem with the plastics. (update sort of) [Archive] - 1000RR.com Forums

Another minor problem with the plastics. (update sort of)

olderRR.
11-10-2004, 05:50 PM
I been teaching my son how to work on the bike. Oil change, etc. Well, he watches me loctite everything. Now here's the part where you can't laugh. He serviced the 954. Took off the plastics, cleaned, lubed, everything. A very good job. With this exception. He loctited on the plastics. I CAN'T TAKE THEM OFF! The little nuts that are buried inside of the rubber mounts turn with the screws. HOW THE FUCK DO I GET THESE OFF? I've tried everything I can think of. I'm down to grinding off the head of the bolts, slipping off the plastics and replacing the nuts, etc. I DON'T want to do this because I gotta feeling I'm gonna gouge my plastics big time. Any suggestions?

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you. thank you very much. for not laughing.

Butter Bean
11-10-2004, 05:58 PM
:eek:

You talking about the screws by the gas tank? I think thats the only ones with the rubber nuts. I'll let you know if I come up with something.

Rather than grinding it out maybe consider drilling into the head which should weaken the head of the bolt and you can break it off.

gntbldr
11-10-2004, 06:20 PM
:eek:

You talking about the screws by the gas tank? I think thats the only ones with the rubber nuts. I'll let you know if I come up with something.

Rather than grinding it out maybe consider drilling into the head which should weaken the head of the bolt and you can break it off.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

olderRR.
11-10-2004, 06:28 PM
You can't drill into them because they just spin. Theres a couple more lower down in the front also. I'm tellin ya, it's a real dilemna. I'm thinking maybe I should trade it in on a 1000RR and let somebody else worry about it! :D

Just kidding on that one. I wanna keep my 54 forever.

Butter Bean
11-10-2004, 07:21 PM
at least you don't have to worry about shit falling off. jk

I'll let you know if I think of anything

cbrewer954
11-10-2004, 08:31 PM
That truly sucks. I really can't help much there either. However, I did get quite a chuckle out of it.
Sorry buddy. Good luck on it.

resuscit8u
11-10-2004, 10:32 PM
You can't drill into them because they just spin. Theres a couple more lower down in the front also. I'm tellin ya, it's a real dilemna. I'm thinking maybe I should trade it in on a 1000RR and let somebody else worry about it! :D

Just kidding on that one. I wanna keep my 54 forever.

yep- trade her in. Get the 1000RR

as nice as my old bike was, the 1000 made me say nine fitty what?

cbrjimmy1KRR
11-10-2004, 10:50 PM
get some good cutters and snip them off from the back side. but only you have some replacements.

that's all i can think of :?

CrashTestDummie
11-10-2004, 11:58 PM
That sucks. Bad luck happens to the best of us. I wouldn't know where to begin to fix that problem, except get a 1000 :twisted:

I tried not to laugh, but i did chuckle a little bit. Sorry man. Hope things work out for you.

Dan954
11-11-2004, 08:22 AM
That truly sucks. I really can't help much there either. However, I did get quite a chuckle out of it.
Sorry buddy. Good luck on it.

sorry, good luck

954pilot
11-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Did he use red or blue loctite? Pray for blue. You should be able to wrestle the front inner fairings off and get to the back of the two screws that connect the sides to the uppers. Try holding the backs w/ a pair of vise grips. You MAY be able to manipulate the snorkle covers enough to allow you to raise the front of the tank and get at the back of the screws there.

Hope that helps.

crotchcandy
11-11-2004, 12:29 PM
get a soldering iron and heat up the bolt

Truck
11-11-2004, 06:57 PM
:lol: Sorry man I cant help it ROFLMAO.

Ive got a son and this has happened to me too.

I think your gonna have to grind em off bud. you might want to use something like a dremell. Also tape up around the bolt head real good before starting to protect it. I noticed that there are a couple of them you can reach through the plastics and grab the other side with needle nose pliars or something. I stress again 3M tape from napa, same as body men use, and put two or three layers of tape around each one of them.

Good luck :!: :wink:

crotchcandy
11-11-2004, 08:44 PM
last time i checked rubber melts at a fairly low temp
if one was to stick a soldering iron into the bolt hole and heat up the entire bolt it would loosen the bond because the rubber would begin to melt
do it just enough and im sure youd be able to jerkem free

Truck
11-12-2004, 06:36 AM
Youd have to be carefull about that cause the fairing is plastic and it melts before rubber. You brought up an interesting point though, if you were to heat up the bolts with an iron just enough it might liquify the locktie and they may come on out. Give it a try older and let us know :wink:

cbrjimmy1KRR
11-12-2004, 06:49 AM
if heat were going to loosen up the locktite that easy.....then why do they use it on engine bolts?

olderRR.
11-12-2004, 07:49 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think he used the blue loctite but I'm not sure. I've been getting the blue and red that comes in the soft sticks--kinda like chapstick--and they both sit in the same spot in the tool box....

Anyway, I may try heating one up and seeing what happens. Probably not the one by the tank :D I'll also try to get into the back side of as many as I can. I've got a Dremel. SHIT! I Dremel everything! :lol: I'll let you all know what worked and what didn't. If I get to pissed off, I'll prolly break out THE FUCKING SAWS ALL!

THX again.

AND THX FOR NOT LAUGHING!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is funny when you think about it! No. I didn't get mad at my son. It's my fault.
:D

Butter Bean
11-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Try calling the company that makes loctite and see what they suggest. You can't be the only person that something like this has happened to.

Ask them about heating the bolt. Or setup a nut and bolt on the side and experiment with heating that beefore you melt your bike.

olderRR.
11-12-2004, 10:54 AM
NOW that's a great idea!!!
THX!

Phantom954
11-12-2004, 10:57 AM
set it on fire and turn it in on insurance and get a 1000..

daffy4
11-15-2004, 06:00 AM
just get the engine hot and then give it a shot easier than tryin to individually heat each one

CrashTestDummie
11-15-2004, 12:16 PM
I like what Phantom said, get a 1000. :twisted:

resuscit8u
11-15-2004, 01:01 PM
yep- 1KRR

954pilot
11-15-2004, 03:10 PM
So what's the current status of the bolts? Out yet? And if yes, how?

CrashTestDummie
11-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Yeah, i'm a little curious myself. What is the status with the bike?

crotchcandy
11-15-2004, 06:35 PM
i change my vote to fire

good call phantom

olderRR.
11-16-2004, 06:03 PM
HEY! Sorry for not getting back. I still have a good 500-1000mi to go before my next service and it's starting to get cold as hell here, so I figured I'd ride till it snows and then mess with it. I will let you guys know what happens and I REALLY appreciate the advice. I think I'll try giving Loctite a call, see what they got to say before I do anything. I'm not in the mood to have to fuck with it yet. The 1000RR sure would be nice............

THX guys! The board ROOOOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!